Monday, April 12, 2010

Three months to go and this is what I've learned. It doesn't matter how good your intentions are or how much you want a wedding that is personal and that doesn't fit into (m)any stereotypes (bitchy bride, bad food, spending too much money, wearing ridiculous dresses that will never see the light of day again). People are going to bring their preconceived ideas about weddings with them. No matter how hard you try to show them that your wedding won't be _______ (cheesy, a show, extravagant, a waste of money, a waste of time) some people will believe what they are going to believe to the very end. I don't know what it is about weddings that causes some people to go into a tizzy (please read a more eloquent post here). My guess is it has more to do with their own views on marriage or maybe they've just had to wear too many crappy bridesmaid dresses.
The people that matter will know you and your intentions and come to the day (or into the planning process) with an open mind and a helping hand. You'll just have to smile, be polite and tell the others to eff off.

2 comments:

Lara said...

oh my gosh. love this post! i am such a fan of your blog and this takes the cake. amen, sister. amen.

alicia said...

It's so funny that I'm just reading this now because this was EXACTLY how I was feeling the day you posted. I just got married last weekend and throughout the entire year and a half of planning, and especially the few weeks leading up to the wedding, I kept hearing about how "not OK" my MIL was with the decisions I had made. Strike 1: We chose a funky art gallery instead of a church and were being married by a friend rather than a person of the cloth; Strike 2: My bridesmaids were wearing mismatched dresses; Strike 3:Our reception site was set up with long, restaurant-style tables with single bud vases lining the middle. The list went on and on. But you know what? At the end of the night she pulled me aside to tell me how beautiful everything was and how special and personal everything was. It took every fiber in my being to not blurt out a victorious "I told you so!," but at that point, I was so happy to be married that I just smiled and thanked her.

So, the moral of my story is, try your best not to listen to all of those nay-sayers. Everyone has an opinion, but try your best to stand your ground and stay true to you and your fiance; trust me, when it's all over, you'll be happy you did.