Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Epic, Rad and Awesome


So after the very upsetting results of Prop 8 I decided that I no longer wanted to get "married" or have a "wedding." Instead we would be have an "epic, rad and awesome."

You are cordially invited to our epic, rad and awesome!

Well, the other day I told McG that we shouldn't get married. Actually, I had been up all night thinking about it and making myself sick with worry. I'm not sure what about the traditional wedding I'm not into. I have a little bit of social anxiety and sometimes can't be in large crowds. The idea of standing in front of all those people and exchanging very personal sentiments with my beloved kind of scares the crap out of me. And then being the center of attention all day/night? Not my style.

So I said to McG, we shouldn't get married. I said, "You don't want a wedding, you want a reunion." (This is half true. We have many friends distributed all over the country so getting them together would be spectacular.) "And I don't need a wedding to prove that I'm going to be with you forever. I already know that I'm going to be with you forever. I've already made a commitment to you."

Then he told me I was full of it and he liked the idea of getting married, blah blah blah.

But I refuse to call it a wedding. From now on it is The Reunion.

Also, I hate the word bride so if you have any suggestions for another word that would be stellar!

{photo via Unicorn Diaries}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I felt! We struggled forever with the conventional ideas of "wedding" and "marriage" and came up with a small reunion of sorts (although we just kept on calling it our wedding) with our very best favorite people to share with us. I had so much anxiety over walking down the aisle so we didn't do it. The whole group walked over to the park together where we did the ceremony and gathered in a big circle We even had our friends & family share in the vows with us. Our friend led us through the park playing the guitar singing Lovesong by the Cure. It was so us it was just perfect. Good for you for calling it the epic, rad, and awesome. I wish more people would do that!